Friday, May 25, 2007

Reunion with Pork (a carnivore's tale)


I was five when I had my first love-hate relationship with pork. I had a pet-pig we call Poohy..Poohy was such a cute pig that spared me from “imaginary-friend” stage.. You see, while most kids my age talk to their imaginary friends on the walls or play hide and seek with them, I was feeding Poohy snowbear and white rabbit. candies. We always ate the same thing, bathed together which eventually turned me to a Poohy look-alike.. I was a pig-child before.. Embarrassing… Later when Poohy was good enough to be a potential lechon or pata , my mom sold him mercilessly, living me in terror of never eating pork again as I might eat my Poohy…I had trauma. So I vowed never to eat pork ever..
But who could resist a sizzling barbeque?

When I was eight, my second bad encounter with eating meat happened when I saw the famous Regal shocker show on TV… It was the story about the famous and delicious chorizo which no other seller could compare… People were so addicted to it that they scrambled and fight with each other just to purchase the famous chorizo.. So, one curious chorizo-maker investigated what could be the secret behind that famous chorizo… He was flabbergasted when he saw human meat being grinded and made into chorizo… Que horror… imagined how I was not able to sleep that night owing to the fact that I had just eaten super red and chunky Hotdog… So for the second time, I vowed never to eat meat again…
But who eats talong or okra when they are eight?

I was in my 2nd year or 3rd year in college when I attended a Krishna seminar/worship, whatever. I never knew til now why I was there in the first place but anyway , it talked about lifestyle, body and religion. Quite interesting really, except for their “fantasy deities” which I could never really revere. Then came these portion where they talked about the advantage of vegetariasm , also called as “grass eating” (sorry vegans)…The speaker was so convincing when he talked about eating meat is like storing rotten, spoilt flesh on your stomach , making it like morgue full of poisonous vile…. Arrghhhh.. I almost puke… Who could ever swallow meat after hearing that?
So for the third time , I vowed never to eat meat again…
I got so hungry during New Year’s Eve , all the circlely-fruits are barely eatable, so I sneaked around 1 am and finally eat morsels of delicious Hamonada, it was heaven!!... And the vow was again broken…

Just last year, I dated a man who had a strange eating preference.. He don’t eat anything that is a product of breast-sucking four-legged animal. OHHH!! Can you handle that? He is the pioneer, maybe founder of the Mafism society. They advocated the non-eating of the above-mentioned category of animals for the simple fact that they believe that like human beings, these animals has the capacity of what we call “Emotions”…Touché! So I ask him if chicken and fish don’t have feelings since they only have 2 legs and they don’t suck their mom’s breast…(hahaha… moronic me, in action), he looked at me for 1 minute , very puzzled…”Is this girl for real?!#@”... hahaha,, he answered eventually that those animals are from eggs, they don’t bear attachment to their makers so I concluded that Nemo must be an exception, and did not ask further. I was infatuated, his explanation seems, okay?? So dating him means eating fish slices choked in rice…also know as sushi which I could hardly swallow.. a marathon of all kinds of chicken menu, which explains why I could already smell chicken dung in my breathe.. And setting foot in McDonald’s store is a no-no..even French fries? Well yeah, Jollibee fries is fine but not McDonalds,, why?they’re all potatoes.. Hmm, yeah but McDo fries were soaked in beef tallow so in essence there is beef element in there… Hayyyyyyy….
So with his influence, I once again vowed not to eat “emotional” meat…
But where is he? He is gone..maybe consoling his cow?

2 months ago, I could have not forced my self to eat beef steak or humba without having to think of the poor animal crying in the slaughter house… huhuhu.. OA.. But you know women change their mind.. and I am a woman and I love Pizza Meat Lovers and tocino, so spare me, am feeding my cravings.. I’ll go meat-free some other time… Hail ye all carnivores!!



No comments: